Monday, July 9, 2012

STEM Strategies



                  STEM Strategies for Diverse Learners

I was tasked with planning a lesson that focuses on STEM strategies for diverse learners. This lesson specifically address my students are diverse and what strategies are critical to meeting their specific needs.



image retrieved July 3, 2012 www.ehow.com


To help plan my lesson, I used the 5 E’s Strategy from this week's class resources. The 5 E's Strategy is an instructional tool that builds and strengthens active learning. As you read my reflection, keep in mind that my Science Lesson Plan connect to one of the unifying themes and one of the Historical Perspectives from the Benchmarks Online site.

Was the 5 E’s Strategy helpful?

Sort of. Some parts seemed redundant. It seemed as if you could really only incorporate one main topic per lesson using the 5 E's strategy. I am not quite sure I like this approach if the topic has two or more smaller components that each follow the 5 E strategy. It limited my approach somewhat.

Was this process different from how you usually plan your lessons?

Not really. I definitely used the 5 E's throughout my lessons. Like I mentioned above I weave in smaller components of the 5 E strategy with different topics.


5 comments:

  1. I agree with you in that using the 5 E's strategy did get a little redundant by the end of it. If you did have multiple components to a lesson that would definitely cause problems. What approach do you use that would make it easier?

    -Krystle Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was planning my lesson, I felt as if I was in another world. I did not like using the template at all. It was very confusing. Also, as I was using the 5 E's I felt it was hard to include each one in one lesson. I think the 5 E strategy would best be used in planning a unit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Krystle

    I would say having an understanding of the end product would help make it easier. I like to think about what the students are expected to understand or be able to do by the end of the lesson and plan small activities that help get them there in the end. I like to start of with a do now that can either act as part of the inquiry to get students gears cranking about what we will be doing or as a way to gauge their understanding so that I can make teaks along the way. The thing that took me a while to finally nail that works well is planning in 10 minute segments which helps me constantly check for understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Lou

    I feel you. I was lost on how to incorporate the 5 E's in one lesson. I finally realized at the end (after I finished the entire thing) that you don't always have to use all 5 in the same lesson. I did not really think about using it mainly for planning an entire unit, but I think that's where my head was when I was planning my lesson. The last three E's were more relevant for subsequent lessons that were part of the entire unit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It certainly is difficult to incorporate 5E's in one lesson. When I read the NSTA article "Rethinking Scientific Inquiry" it mentioned time as a factor. It could take students an entire class period to critically think and answer a question. Although we want to hit every "E" in a lesson, sometimes they need time to comprehend the concept. It was a great refresher for me to acknowledge the active and engaging portions of a lesson.

    ReplyDelete